Thursday, April 10, 2014

EP Preview: 'I Am What I Am' by Mark Morrison

I must say, when I started this experiment of a blog years and years ago, I never anticipated I would reach the amount of musicians I have. Never in my wildest dreams did I picture I'd be writing something that someone could easily be persuaded to read. It's because of that, that - before I begin this review - I want to thank each and everyone of you that's come to this spot and taken a few moments to hear my rambling testimony, time and time again.

Now then, it's been 3 months...let's get started.



We receive a lot of requests from a fair deal of diverse artists around here; it seems only fitting a new artist is added to the list. Mark Morrison, a native of West Germany, is no stranger to the music industry. He obtained worldwide fame for his 1996 hit single, "Return of the Mack" and has since released two major albums: 'Innocent Man' and 'Return of the Mack'.

It's truly incredible for things to come full circle like this. I remember hearing "Return of the Mack" so clearly back in the single digit years of my life. It was one of the defining themes of my childhood; playing it once more only enhances the flashbacks of a time long since forgotten.

'I Am What I Am', definitely takes me back in time to the glory days of the 90's. Sitting in front of the TV, flipping through the channels and ending up on MTV to watch latest music videos from TRL (Total Request Live). Soothing yet dance-able; smooth yet intricate, this collection of tracks is high quality work. In the few minutes I had to listen to each track, nostalgia hit me like a home run at the hands of Babe Ruth. It was intense. The smooth production caught my ears immediately and I was sent into a melodic daze filled with sweet vocals, sophisticated sound design and satisfying percussion that I only wish I could've heard more of.



I can't say what the full album of 'I Am What I Am' is going to be like, but from each 1 min sample I listened to; having listened to previous works by Mark, I can tell this is going to be something fantastic. Rarely do I get the opportunity to express my appreciation for R&B as it's not one of my strong areas. Most times it doesn't click, but thankfully Mark Morrison has restored my faith in the genre, yet again.

This album isn't out yet, but it is available for pre-order on iTunes.
Releases on May 19th!

Thanks for reading!

Homepage: http://www.markmorrison.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/_markmorrison
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/markmorrisonofficial
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/markmorrisononline
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/i-am-what-i-am/id855318692

No comments:

Post a Comment